Corporate Social Responsibility
Our social and environmental responsibilities at the heart of our business.
As part of our commitment to being a market-leading logistics provider, we take our responsibilities seriously. We are proud of the great strides we have taken in this regard, and we remain committed to making a real difference as our business expands. We are focused on:
- Investing in our people
- Respecting our environment
Our Vehicle Fleet
Transport is our business, and we do our best to reduce its impact on our environment. We aim to reduce our carbon footprint by:
- Creating fuel efficiency – our vehicles are restricted to 56mph for HGVs and 70mph for vans. Vehicle routes are generated through the vehicle tracker to ensure the shortest routes and save fuel.
- Monitoring driver efficiency – Speeding and hard braking, and steering is monitored via our vehicle tracking system. Performance reviews are held between the drivers and our Transport Manager.
- Reducing static running and vehicle idle time – We advise our drivers to switch off vehicle engines while standing still. Idle time is monitored via our vehicle tracker and discussed with our drivers.
- Improving exhaust emissions – most of our vehicles are under 3 years old and are fitted with a catalytic converter from Manufacture.
- Using Euro 6 compliant vehicles – 98% of our fleet are Euro 6 vehicles, with the fleet being renewed every 3 years.
- Eco-friendly vehicle washing – We have an onsite vehicle washer serviced and maintained by the machine provider. All detergents supplied for use are eco-friendly.
- Recycling vehicle batteries – Our vehicle batteries are replaced by a recognised vehicle maintenance provider and disposed of responsibly.
Our Office Environment
We constantly look at ways in which we can reduce our environmental impact.
- Recycling paper, cardboard, cans, and plastic bottles
- Recycling toner and ink cartridges
- Printing only where necessary
- Reducing single-use plastics
- We ensure we turn off lights and electrical equipment when not in use.
OSE were proud to work with the Foundation of Light in 2014 to provide a logistics solution for their Italian Cycle Challenge. We transported 50 bikes and supporting equipment from Sunderland to Italy, which required a significant amount of planning and logistical coordination. The transport convoy left the UK on 1st June, arriving in Italy on 3rd June ready for the ‘grand depart’ on Wednesday 4th June.
Additional support was also required in the form of support vehicles, transport food, drinks, and equipment during the cycle challenge. We were proud of the OSE team members who participated in the cycle challenge – a testament to OSE’s excellent relationships with clients and dedication to their causes.
Phil King, then Head of Commercial at the Foundation of Light, said:
“The generous contribution from OSE will make a huge difference to our fundraising efforts, which in turn will make a huge impact on the lives of young people in the region. It is only through the ongoing support of community-minded businesses like OSE that we are able to offer young people and families the opportunities to improve their lives. OSE has proven to be incredibly helpful and knowledgeable, and we are pleased to be able to work alongside them to raise much-needed funds for the Foundation of Light.”